An innovative project with a unique approach to problem solving
Broad commenced the development of Brisbane State High School’s (BSHS) new multi-level building project in June 2014.
Built on a footprint of approximately 3000sqm and covering six levels (two basement and four above ground), the new facility provides approximately 18,000sqm of additional space for general learning areas, staff parking, and retail and commercial tenancies.
Our overall tender strategy focused on the expertise of the project team to ensure a robust understanding of the client’s requirements and expectations.
During the tender stage our pre-contracts team identified a number of innovations, including:
- Redesigning the car park to provide the client with additional spaces at no additional cost.
- Extending the footprint of the excavation for added scope.
- Identifying an opportunity to deliver the works early through the use of an innovative precast concrete solution.
Works on the BSHS project commenced in June 2014 and the team was quick to adapt the alternative flooring system. They maintained a proactive approach to managing quality throughout this period of adaptation and successfully completed the structure ahead of program.
The first 12 classrooms in ‘Block I’ were handed over early in July 2015 and a series of minor staged works followed through to a final handover in November 2015, ready for the start of the 2016 school year.
- 2016 Queensland AIB Professional Excellence Award - Commercial Construction $10 million to $50 million
- 2016 National AIB Professional Excellence Award - Commercial Construction $10 million to $50 million